Diagnosis and Treatment of Pulmonary Disorders
How We Can Help
Spirometry: Measurement of Airflow
Full Pulmonary Function Testing: Measures lung volumes, airflow and oxygen diffusion capacity. Pulmonary Function Testing has been a major step forward in assessing the functional status of the lungs as it relates to:
- How much air volume can be moved in and out of the lungs
- How fast the air in the lungs can be moved in and out
- How stiff are the lungs and chest wall – a question about compliance
- The diffusion characteristics of the membrane through which the gas moves (determined by special tests)
- How the lungs respond to chest physical therapy procedures
- Pulmonary Function Tests are used for the following reasons:
- Screening for the causes of shortness of breath
- Evaluating the patient prior to surgery
Pulmonary Rehab – Your Lungs at Work: Reconditioning for patients with lung disease. This individualized program is conducted by a Respiratory Therapist and includes exercise and educational session, support group, breathing techniques and exercises.
Pulmonary/6 Minute Walk Test: Measurement of exercise capacity and oxygenation.